Carbon laminate has the property of being extremely stiff and strong because the woven layers of pure carbon fiber are bonded together by hardened plastic.
In the repair and rehabilitation of structures, the carbon fiber reinforced polymer laminates are an effective material to strengthen existing reinforced concrete wood or masonry members structurally.
If there is a faulty or a defect in the structural components, carbon laminate come in handy.
Carbon Laminate are known to be resistant to water and chemical. Carbon Laminate and Carbon fiber together help in adding strength and durability to the structure.
Over the years, if the structure is damaged or depreciated, CFRP laminates add the necessary strength. Carbon fiber laminates are a convenient repair option when the building's loading capacity undergoes structural pattern changes or there is the need of Seismic retrofitting.
The carbon fiber laminate is similar but lighter in weight than steel plates. Adding carbon laminates to the repair process brings strength to the structure without putting any additional dead weight nor increasing the size of the member.
CFRP laminates are known to be corrosive resistant which, makes the structure durable against damages and deterioration.
Benefits of carbon fiber laminates :
- They reinforce and make the structure stronger.
- Carbon fiber laminates are a shield to the structure against seismic activity. The seismic retrofitting reduces the risk to vulnerable and weak buildings. Seismic retrofitting of buildings is the best way to ensure the safety of the occupants and assets against endangered activities.
- Carbon laminates are easy to install and use.
- To improve appearance of concrete surface
- Carbon fiber laminates certify the durability of the structure and also enhances the appearance.
- Carbon laminates tend to boost the functional performance of the structure.
Any repair or rehabilitation project should be light on the pocket (low-cost). There should be a limited and predictable degree of changes with time and protection from premature deterioration throughout the structures course and life.